Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 32 - Golden, BC to Revelstoke, BC

June 17, 2010
153 km

Today was suppose to be my mother's birthday and I find it suiting that it should be the same day that I wake in British Columbia for the first time, or that it is one month from when I left home or that today I meet with Roger's Pass, the hill that I have feared since I started. I dedicated today's ride to her even though she would have never wanted me to go she would have been the first person to say how proud she was of me. It didn't take long for the climbing to start. Even before Roger's Pass I had to climb Donald hill. I spent 80 km of a 150 km day climbing. This was the most beautiful and intimate day with the mountains so the reward out weighs the struggle. I am still not quite sure what a glacier is but I saw them all day. By 2 o'clock I made it to the peak of Roger's Pass (That is 3 hours behind Soo time as I am now in Pacific Standard Time as of today). Everyone at the Roger's Pass vistor centre was very encouraging when I spoke with them and they were very excited to tell me that it was pretty much all down hill to Vancouver, aka all uphill on the way back. In Revelstoke I called Chad, my couchsurfing host here. He told me that he would not be in until way late but to make myself at home. I cooked bean burritos, potatoes and corn and watched Back To The Future. I am hoping to get to Kelowna tomorrow which is almost 200 km but if I can't make it I have other cities along the way that I can stop in. NO FLATS TODAY although my back tire is starting to make a noise. It sounds like me spending more money that I don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment