Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 31 - Canmore, AB to Golden BC

June 16, 2010
170 km

It was a usually crappy morning with my daily flat tire so I had to find a bike shop before leaving. Apprently the problem was that my tires were so worn that everything was eaily breaking through and stabbing my tubes. So I spent $125 on new thicker tires. It was terribly cold outside, felt like winter but none of this can bother me because I can see the Rockies. Also sweet existentialism provided me with my first elk sighting on the way back into town as well as two black bunnies. The ride was enjoyable and pretty flat to Lake Louise. Once I got there I called my couchsurfing host and he did not answer his phone so I can called a host in Golden and he was able to take me in early so I moved on. This is where the mountains came in. It was called Kicking Horse Canyon and it was so long that it was nicknamed 10 mile hill. Fortunatly 75 percent of the time I was going down hill but that just means I have to do the opposite when I turn around. I nearly had a heart attack earlier in the day when I was slowly climbing a small hill and saw a black bear with two of the smallest, cutest cubs ever. I almost hurt myself trying to get away, I even got my bear spray ready just in case but they could care less and just walked away. Not even one minute later as my heart started to slow down I look out of the corner of my eye to see the biggest moose I have ever seen running at me so I let out the loudest scream and he just did a quick 180 degree turn and ran away. Once I got to Golden I started to hear a noise and found out I lost two bolts to my rear rack. Somehow they fell off but luckily for me there was still a bike shop that was open. John, my couching surfing host, had prepared a delicious meal for when I finally got there, it was very thoughful and it felt so good to have a home cooked meal. I felt a bit bad eating as much as I did but he didn't seem to mind and I was so hungry. I am so excited to say I am in British Columbia!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go dude! BC! I sat here laughing at the 'moose scream' for about 3 minutes before I could continue reading. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete