Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 26 - Swift Current, SK to Medicine Hat, AB

June 11, 1010
55 km

The first thing I heard when I woke up was the rain so I was already not feeling it. The rain stopped briefly enough to allow me to pack everything up. I then snuck out of the campground without paying and headed for the nearest gas station to change my flat. Once I got on the road it started to pour and it was freezing and I was even half expecting it to start snowing. I could not feel my fingers and toes after an hour. The closest town was called Gull Lake and it was 60 km away so I decided to just pedal and not stop till I got there. After 55 km I looked and saw another flat at which I responded with the loudest scream I have ever let out. I started to walk knowing I wasn't far from Gull Lake when a man pulled over and gave me a lift. I knew something was wrong because it was the third flat on my front tire in three days so I figured I would have to get to Medicine Hat to get a new tire. After a warm lunch and several hot cups of coffee I began to ask for rides. I met a man named Rory, who worked for an oil company, and was was traveling my way had agreed to give me a ride. He was very nice and had lots to say about everything. It felt very cheap crossing a provincial line in a truck but what choice did I have. It turned out that there was a giant piece of metal lodged in the tire it self that I missed somehow and it had to be pried out with a pair of pliers. I called my host of the day from couchsurfing.com, Derek and Katie, who came and picked me up. Even though this was a short stay we had some good fun. We ate at a fantastic Pan-Asian restaurant, made our own tortillas for burritos and watched Enemy at The Gates. I even had a Falafel Pita in salute to Genny back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment